This recipe is so easy and delicious. Basically you put a few things in the slow cooker and go about your day. It takes 8 hours to cook but you only need to be actively prepping about 15 minutes. We make ours with Kale Slaw but feel free to serve with your favorite hot sauce, pickled peppers or just solo on your favorite bun.
2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
4 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
1 (4 1/2 to 5lb) boneless pork shoulder, any twine or netting should be removed
1 cup barbecue sauce
2 cups chopped kale
1 cup shredded cabbage
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon white vinegar
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. Place the onion and garlic in an even layer in the slow cooker and pour in the stock or broth. Pat the pork dry with paper towels. Season pork with salt.
2. Place the salted pork on top of the onions and add the chicken stock and 1 cup of barbecue sauce. Cover and cook on high until the pork is fork tender, about 8 hours.
3. Turn off the slow cooker and using two forks pull apart the pork. It should easily shred if not you may need to cook longer.
4. Remove any big pieces of fat.
5. Add more barbecue sauce if needed. Serve with Kale Slaw.
For the Slaw:
1. In a bowl whisk the mayonnaise and the vinegar until smooth.
2. Add the kale and the cabbage and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
Makes enough for 10 servings